About Graniteville, South Carolina

Graniteville was the South's first large-scale Cotton Mill built in 1845 by then architect Mr. William Gregg. His paternalistic mill town included 90 homes, several boarding houses, six stores, two churches, and a school for the mill workers and their families. The community got its name because most of those original buildings were constructed of blue granite.

Mr. Gregg required the children of mill workers to attend the public school he instituted, and violators were fined. As such, Graniteville holds the distinction of having the first compulsory education system in the Southern United States.

Present day Graniteville is located in Aiken County, west of Aiken, South Carolina, in the Horse Creek Valley. Considered a part of the Augusta, Georgia Metropolitan area. Graniteville is also located in the Central Savannah River Area (CSRA) region which is comprised of thirteen counties in Eastern Georgia and seven counties in Western South Carolina. Hence, the title of this website.

About This Website

This site is a template design by CarterLake.org with PHP conversion by Saratoga-Weather.org.
Special thanks go to Kevin Reed at TNET Weather for his work on the original Carterlake templates, and his design for the common website PHP management.
Special thanks to Mike Challis of Long Beach WA for his wind-rose generator, Theme Switcher and CSS styling help with these templates.
Special thanks go to Ken True of Saratoga-Weather.org for the AJAX conditions display, dashboard and integration of the TNET Weather common PHP site design for this site.

Template is originally based on Designs by Haran.

This template is XHTML 1.0 compliant. Validate the XHTML and CSS of this page.